Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Gentle Spirit

A friend of mine recently shared some things about themselves and requested that I read Philippians 1. I have read scripture out of Philippians so many times, as many of us love Philippians 4:13 - I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
So I went ahead opened my Bible and turned to Philippians. I read the part my friend wanted me to read about having Joy, how The Presence of Christ Jesus Brings Joy. But I couldn't stop there, I ended up reading all 4 chapters in Philippians. It is so amazing how something can be right in front of you for so long but you never fully grasp it. Tonight standing in the kitchen I read and took in as much as I could. I urge you all to pick up your Bible and read all of Philippians, it is not a long book at all, and Paul gives us so much knowledge through out the 4 chapters.
Look at the Guy (Paul that is), he is in jail writing a book, telling all followers of Jesus how joyful he is, and showing us how a "bad situation" can be turned into a blessing. Philippians 1:12-14 12.Now I want you to know brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the Gospel. 13. As a result it has become clear through out the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

Paul continues to tell the church and the followers of Christ to Rejoice in the Lord always, to serve the Lord and to do everything with out complaining. He also says to Forget what is behind and Strain towards what is ahead. And again he says in Philippians 4:4-7 4. Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice! 5. Let your Gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with Thanksgiving, present your request to God. 7. And the Peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

It is crazy for me to think how some act today, how one may think that a gentle Spirit is a Wimpy one or maybe a "Gentle" Person would be thought of as to Passive. (I to have been described as Passive before, a few of you may be reading and laughing at the thought of me being passive and others may agree that I am a passive person. I admit that at times I think of myself as Gentle and then at other times to aggressive. And believe me after today I will be praying for a quiet and gentle spirit.). I wonder how in today's Culture people feel as though they need to be tough and strait forward and pushy or rude to get through life. As You read Philippians Paul explains how we should all have a Gentle Spirit about us. That when one doesn't agree with another they shouldn't jump to conclusions but rather sit back and look at both sides and come to an agreeance on the situation.

I totally understood Philippians tonight, I understood how we should act and how we should find joy in all things and how we should have a Gentle Spirit even during the roughest toughest times in our lives. And in doing this we can be relieved by knowing that the Lord is always near us and that we are never going through these things alone.
I pray that all of you read this book, and really try to understand it. I pray that you will also have a gentle Spirit and that when you go through some of the toughest times in life that you can be joyful knowing the Lord is near.

Good Night,
Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Always feel free to Comment.